Thursday, September 19, 2013

Santorini, Greece

Day 7- Santorini

This was the one place I was most excited to visit. When someone says, 'Greece,' this place immediately comes to mind. I think we were the first people off the boat on this particular morning because I wanted to get my fill of Santorini. 

There are two ways to get to the top of this island... The first is by cable car and the second is two walk up (or ride a donkey). I wanted to take the cable car but the line was forever long and my husband thought it would be a great idea to walk it. 

I was miserable.

Not only was smell horrendous from the donkey poo, but we where both sweating by the time we made it up.

It was a long way up!




After getting a well deserved beverage we headed for the nearest ATV shop. FUN FACT: You can rent ATV'S for the day in Santorini. It costs you about 30 euros (depending where you rent from). Just make sure you have both your US drivers license and passport with you. Cameron had never driven an ATV before so I ended up driving for the first part of our trip. 
  






After a quick stop to check the map we headed directly for the Red Sand Beach. Which, of course is beautiful. Then we decided to head to the Black Sand Beach. This time Cameron took the wheel. I warned him about the turning radius on the ATV. 

He didn't listen. 

We almost died.

Needless to say, I drove to the next destination.  





The Black Sand Beach! Again, it was gorgeous. If your thinking... that sand must be hot! You would be right.





As we were leaving, Cameron somehow convinced me that he would be careful this time. So, I let him drive for the rest of the day. He actually did very well. We stopped a few times to 'take it all in' and decided it was time to get something to eat.







After returning the ATV we found this beautiful restaurant that had an amazing view of the volcano. The food was outstanding and the waiter was so kind. He told us all about the volcano and some of the history of Santorini. (In tourist areas it's sometimes hard to find people so nice.) So, after a delicious meal we did some shopping and then headed back down the mountain. 



I hate having my picture taken. 


a



The way back down was much better than the way up. I snapped this shot as we headed down. I thought he was adorable.



I was sad to leave but, I think when we're older we'll come back to Greece...especially Mykonos and Santorini. We both feel in love with these places! 

Our cruise was coming to an end and we only had one more stop~

No comments:

Post a Comment