Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Athens, Greece

Day 5- Athens

You must, I repeat you MUST buy a cruise expedition for this port. The reasons are as follows...

1. The port is 30 minutes by bus to the city.
2. The city is MASSIVE and you WILL get lost.
3. The costs of your ticket included passes to get into all the major sites 

Trust me on this... just the bus ride in Cameron and I looked at each other and said there was no way we would have got around or found anything we really wanted to see if we didn't buy cruise tickets. Also, the cruise-lines try and keep you in the safer areas of the city. You could definitely see the economic woes that Greece was and still is dealing with. So take my advice and you'll enjoy Athens much more because, there is nothing more frustrating and scary than being lost in a big city where you don't speak the language. (I still have nightmares about Vienna.)

Once we arrived in Athens our tour guide took us straight to Acropolis where the Parthenon is located. Which is incredible! I've seen the one in Nashville, Tennessee... yes, there is one in Nashville. Anyways, I remember my parents saying, 'Well kids, this is the closest thing to the actual Parthenon you'll ever see." 

HA! I showed them! 

TIP: Where good tennis shoes. I prefer Solomon's for rocky terrain. I wore flip flops (like an idiot) and stubbed my toe at least 3 times. 







It's said that this is the mount where Peter preached the gospel of Jesus Christ




 Me pushing my belly out for the 'baby bump shot'. This was how I originally planned to tell my parents that we were expecting~














 

The Ancient Olympic stadium. The flame(torch) for every Olympics begins here. 





Yum! You have to try ice cream where ever you go!


This was a gyro shop we stopped and ate at. It was delicious! We both got lamb gyros. FUN FACT: It costs extra to sit down and eat at most places in Greece.


The Temple of Zeus, what's left of it anyway...





We saw (drove) past a few other places on the tour. I'm not a fan of taking picture on a bus. 

We did see Parliament but it was covered in graffiti. Most of it had to do with the recent financial collapse. Though, we did arrive just in time for the changing of the guard, so that was pretty cool. 

The rest of the day was mostly spent window shopping. All in all, Athens was fun... and I saw what I wanted to see.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

No comments:

Post a Comment